Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Saul Bass, Master of Minimalist Movie paMphlets

     Saul Bass is one of the names to know among budding graphic designers. He was responsible for many memorable opening and credits sequences across four decades of movies.
     As a new graphic design student, I was recently introduced to his portfolio of movie posters. Most all of them featured only five colors at most (two of them almost always being black and white) and consisted of only barely edited shapes. Even so, they got their messages across as well as any other sort of poster. Observe:

   (Now, I can't really say this one was made by Saul Bass himself--his style is often imitated due to its popularity--but it's a nice sample of what he was known for.)

(Note: I'm not sure if I can count this post as finished. I'll leave this notice here, so I can remember to edit it later.)

No comments:

Post a Comment