Sunday, April 6, 2014

Artists at the Nerman, pt. I

A couple of remarkable artists had their work displayed lately at the local Nerman Museum of Contemporary Art. Chances are, you've seen that odd statue sitting in the front. In case you somehow didn't notice it:


The articles I've seen written about "Companion" here were quick to note how its attire resembles that of a certain mouse. Brian Donnelly - or as more people may know him, "KAWS" - originally created this...thing for display in Hong Kong. According to him, its design came to him when he saw where it would sit.
Originally it was in Hong Kong for Harbour City. When I was invited to do the piece, I went and saw the site. And immediately I was like, “God if I had to sit out here, I would just be mortified if this many people walked past me.” And that’s how that pose came.
                       ~KAWS, in an interview with The New York Times Style Magazine

The man has a very diverse portfolio to his name. He started off as a graffiti artist in Jersey City; from there, he went on to design things from vinyl toys to a limited edition beer bottle, work on a few Disney cartoons, and parody iconic characters like The Simpsons through sculptures and acrylic paint. Yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment