Friday, April 11, 2014

eMagine 2014 - A Post-Event Recap by Someone Who Wasn't There


Keeping a conflict-free schedule helps a lot when you're trying to get good grades. Sometimes, though, it seems as if the school itself wants to make that difficult. Being in E-Communications, I was expected to attend an important event last Saturday. My Forensics grade needed a boost that week, so I had signed up to debate at a tournament on Friday. (When you tell the teacher you want to go to a tournament, you can not take back that signature unless it's an emergency. I learned that the hard way.)

That tournament lasted until 8:30 pm. I woke up a few hours late the next morning, too groggy to do my homework until the next day. In the fatigue I must have forgotten my e-Comm obligation. Thanks to my obligations clashing yet again, the following recap will have to be restricted to a third-person perspective.


The eMagine Media Festival was held at Olathe Northwest to celebrate the many skilled students in the Kansas City area. By "skilled," I mean creatively skilled, as a good amount of the contestants are involved in the E-Communications program. They've made graphics, animations, and short films that they're proud enough of to let be judged by professionals and displayed to perhaps a thousand other students. The best of the best earned their creators medals, certificates, and a clear, cubic statue called the Pixel Award. To make a long story short, it's sort of like the Oscars.


One of the winning short films was shown to my Animation class. I wasn't sure about its plotline at first (it involved a man with a gun, and I hate the sight of those things), but the sudden twist at the end left me speechless in an enjoyable way. I believe its creator deserved whatever he won for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment